Sunday, September 23, 2007

Love My Pet Fair


Love My Pet Fair, Saturday October 6th at the Alzafar Temple on the 1604 north central. I volunteer for a rescue group (FBRN) , rescuing is something very near and dear to my heart. Both my boxers were rescues (our frenchie was more of a show dog flunkie). This picture of our Roxy was taken the first night we had her home after she was picked up as a stray in Chula Vista, CA. She stayed at the shelter for 2 weeks before she was available to adopt. They were so overflowing with dogs there that they had 2-3 dogs in each dog run. We were second on the list to adopt her and were there 30 minutes before she would be available. Fortunately the people who were on the list ahead of us didn't show up. She was was spayed the next day and we picked her up that afternoon. I took her to the vet a week later and they said she had a heart murmur so bad that they didn't expect her to live. We didn't care. We took her home and plumped her up since she was sooo thin, she obviously just weaned some puppies (and by the looks of it her 30th litter!). We waited a few months and took her to a cardiologist for a full work up. No murmur found. Apparently she was so emaciated when we got her that her heart could barely function right. Our boy Jayne was a 3rd time re-home. His previous homes couldn't handle his mental issues. He's a good boy, just a bit autistic. As long as you understand his issues and can read his signals it's all good. Had he been sent to a shelter he wouldn't have survived, they would have put him down. Now his mental ass is with us, lucky little brat.
I encourage anyone in the San Antonio area to come out to the pet fair! It's supposed to be the largest animal rescue event in the region and all of the shelters, Humane Societies, and rescues will be there and pets are allowed. The best part is it's air conditioned and there's never anywhere you can bring your dog that has a/c so I'm sure there will be a large turnout of our furry friends. I also understand that the shelters and Humane Societies will have pets there for adoption which is great. The Greater San Antonio region has an insane amount of homeless pets, more than any other city I've ever lived in. Help us find them new homes!! Oh and for those shoppers out there there will be lots of stuff for sale!

1 comment:

Jess said...

This is so funny. I am at work, and a person asked about the "Love your pet" fair this weekend. So, I googled it and came across your blog!! I saw your pic and thought, "wait a minute! That's Michelle!!" Anyway, wanted to say hi!