Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Comic Con, a legend in it's own right


I know I've mentioned this before, the hubby and I have been uber geeks for decades now, it's one of the reasons we met (under the guise of 'gaming', yes the Dungeons and Dragons kind). Comic Con was created in San Diego in 1970 (Comic Con time line in a slide show). It's a long weekend thing that happens once a year (for those of you that are not uber dorks). I mean geeks, sorry. I learned to read because my dad would take me to the comic book store on weekends and we'd spend hours there perusing the comics. I was 4 when they figured out I already knew how to read, real sharp parents I had. Too much pot. Seriously.

The fact that I cut my teeth on comics pretty much set me up to be one of those. And by one of those I mean one of those that comes out during Con. Fortunately my social skills are better than most of one of those people so I don't come off nearly as creepy as most of them. It's kind of a running joke, those people are hidden in their parent's basement for the other 361 days of the year. Only to crawl out and see daylight during Con. If you don't know what I'm talking about all you have to do is look at some of the pictures. It won't take you long to figure it out. I was sitting and waiting for a panel to start one time there and the couple in front of me (I don't know which one was the woman, sadly this is not unusual at Con) takes out a can of Chef-boy-ardee. Proceeds to peel the top off the can and spoon the contents into their mouth. Now I'm a mom, I'm all about bringing your own food to a convention since the prices of the food there are stupid expensive but dang, peeling open a can? Way to make your way up the evolutionary ladder. GAH! This is typical of what you will find at Con. Strangeness.

The people watching there is great though, seriously great. The fashion atrocities alone can keep you mesmerized for the entire weekend. Please note, there is a limit to the quantity of fat you should be allowed to squeeze into spandex. Really, it's a law of physics. It is also seriously broken a multitude of times at Con. There are a few bit of hot chicks scantily clad there too so there is an upside but the really big basement people (and no, not just women) seem to think it's their once a year chance for fame. The kind of fame you don't want to be known for. And yet....

I've been to my share of Cons, as has the hubby. They used to (I don't know if they still do) have rooms at the convention where they would run D&D games that the boys would play. Or run, I'm pretty sure the hubby ran one back in the day. We've taken our kid to Con, she loved it because it was nothing but a thousand things to buy and serious sensory overload. I have a girlfriend who has been working it for just shy of 2 decades. Her life is run amok every year when it comes around and they plan this Con with meetings all year round you know. Comic Con is the biggest thing that the San Diego Convention Center hosts. Insane you say? Yup, yes it is.

Technically it has outgrown the Convention Center. Every year the Fire Marshall is there and they will shut the doors if there are too many people inside at any given point in time. The newspaper says that they no longer do door registration, i.e. tickets aren't sold at the door anymore. Not exactly the truth. The truth is that you can buy tickets online and they sell out every year before Con actually starts. They would sell tickets at the door but there are none available. Now that is what I call successful.

We won't be going this year, the hubby goes to pick up the kid not 3 days after it ends and me, well I haven't been back to San Diego for going on 2 years now. I'd like to visit but dang it all if life just isn't cooperating like it should. Plus the kid has fully realized the concept of shopping. I don't think we'd survive taking her now. Girls + shopping = BAD. Maybe next year, who knows. Right now I have my sights set on a new camera anyway and I don't know about ya'll but I tend to obsess. Maybe net year I won't be obsessing and the uber geek in me will want to do Con. Who knows!

Comic books, people, comic books. Are you grasping the level of insanity? If you haven't figured it out yet, being a geek is cool now. It's only a matter of time before we rule the world and then you'll never be able to get a ticket to Con...

No comments: