Sunday, March 8, 2009

Where do they get off charging so much for bathing suits?



No, that's not me, that's the suit I'd like to get. It's $68. For how much fabric? Oh please shoot me now.
See now this is why I haven't bought one in oh, maybe 4 years? It's not as bad as bra shopping but only because I am not shopping for them in real life. My goal, of course, is to find something flattering. That suit that I bought 4 years ago was just a plain black speedo, a competition suit. That is basically what my suit buying was reduced to, a 'Can't go wrong with this' suit. It has served me well for many years but dang, don't ya'll think it's about time I grew up a bit and got something with a little bit more than a competition suit? I am not ambitious enough to go out and try some on. Plus I am not in So Cal, the variety available in stores here is not so faboo.

I'm going to be honest here though, I have no chest. None what so ever. Never had never will and that basically cuts out about 99.99% of suits out there. I am loving the whole retro suit too. You know, Marilyn Monroe era? When women were supposed to be a size 8 or higher? Yeah and I am in one of those fat times in life, apparently the living an Texas and being lazy is not a good thing for ones waist line. Fancy that! Yeah, maybe someday I'll learn. Until then I'm looking at suits for flat chested fat chicks. Alright I'm not that fat but I don't think I've ever ventured all the way in to size 8 land. Bad bad bad. I'm not going to ignore it though, I'll be wearing clothing that fits right and looks cute. Not happy about it but I'll survive and probably loose the weight. I usually do and I try not to stress since that doesn't make me lose weight, just sleep.

The best contender is the one I have pictured above, The Bettie one piece from Pin Up Girl Clothing. They have a few others but this one is the one that first caught my eye. There are a few others out there but they aren't as appealing to me as this one and the cost about the same. There's the Esther Williams, nice but still, about the same price. An entire page of retro suits at My Baby Jo, a bit more expensive but still damn cute. I love them all but I just don't like spending so much on so little. I grew up in San Diego, this conundrum is one I've had my whole life. I remember going shopping at least once a year for a new suit since back in the day I lived within walking distance of the beach and at least then those suits got serious wear time. Ah how real life takes it's toll on ones sun bathing time....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i have a bikini that i paid mucho dinero for a few years back and i am HELL BENT on getting my money's worth. it's like the LESS fabric there is, the MORE they charge. WTH? however, i own about 4 suits from Old Navy that cost less than $20 each (cause i'm cheap like that.)

Train Wreck said...

I agree! It is a bathing suit? If they are going to charge that much they should come with a poolman! That is a fab suit though! You would look great in it. Hula chick, I will get the envelope off this afternoon. I had chores all day yesterday. I didn't get into town. I am excited, to start my Hula Hooping!!

Tabitha Kim said...

OK your right these are freaking cute as hell. I'm not throwing in the towel yet though! I have lost the weight before and I know I can do it again. I have a BOX of bikini's all dying to be worn this year, however, to save my son from being embarrassed by his mom, I may buy one of these bad boys- I'm thinking simple black sheath.