Thursday, November 27, 2008

11am on Turkey Day

The kitchen is a mess. And I haven't started cooking yet. It's 11am. Yeah I am SO ON IT this year. Well I suppose I am doing better than I did last year, about this time the kid was calling her daddy downstairs and he would soon be calling the neighbor ER doc and then they'd be calling the ambulance. Yeah I'm doing hella better than last year! I'll have an evening post on that one later, no really. Once I am sitting fat and happy on the couch and everything is done, cooked, and eaten. Put away and cleaned is optional.

But to back the kitchen, yeah we are working parents so our house is basically in a state of perpetual hell. There is no horizontal surface in this house that isn't piled high with crap. This is my life and we don't like it but we have to wait until we are actually at home and not sleeping or getting something done (like the kid's homework or whatever) to be able to clean. Or some semblance of cleaning. Which is probably why you don't see as many pictures as I'd like to take, the house mess is in the background, ew. Welcome to my world. And why I have yet to begin cooking this fine morning.

Fast forward 45 minutes and I have wrangled my hubby off the upstairs computer so he can help swipe off piles of junk in my kitchen so I can find my counter tops. I knew they were there, I've got pictures from before we moved in. I now have piles of stuff on the dog crates but I have kitchen surfaces to work with now, yay! Oh and that damn toaster oven that no kitchen is made to host is on the floor. My hubby loves that thing, I use it on occasion but only because it's there and I have to justify that huge waste of counter space.

So first up, I need to get the turkey out of the brine and into a pan. It's my first time brining and not doing turkey in a bag. If it doesn't work I'm hunting Alton Brown down and having WORDS with him. He should start praying now, my words usually draw blood. Did I tell ya'll I made the cheesecake last night? The Ginger Caramel Pumpkin Cheesecake one? Yeah it looks good, we'll see today if that one comes out well. Did I tell you it takes too much effort to make it? Yeah, maybe it's good for some country wife that has nothing better to do than make everything from scratch but I am just to urban for that I suppose. Too much prep time and it took like 1 hour and 45 minutes to finish baking. Oh no, not doing that one again unless I have to.

I got the turkey ready for the oven and put it into the fridge. It's only an 11 pounder so it won't take but 2-2 1/2 hours to cook so it needs to wait until like 2 pm to go in. The potatoes are now peeled cut and boiling. I am doing dressing and green bean bake so that won't go in until later this evening too. Those are totally easy so I'm not even going to bother thinking about them yet.

See how easy my cooking Thanksgiving dinner is? I still don't see what the hell takes everybody all frikin day to prepare this meal it's just a big chicken with sides. The hard part about this day is traveling and then having to be somewhere on time or have dinner ready done at some specified time. Yeah I figure I need to have dinner ready between the hours of 6-8pm. No stress, we're not going anywhere or having anyone over. Thank God.

So to all of you out there Happy Turkey Day! Try not to kill any family members but if it has to be done be sure to hide the body well and completely. If you don't know how to drop me a line. My extended family is horrid (and the dh has a few family gems that the world could do without) and the dh and I have plans in place that we can share if ya need. No, really, it's good to have these backup plans already thought out, it's best to be prepared.

No comments: