Sunday, November 23, 2008

Alright, now is the time to start getting on it


Because if I don't shop for the food today I'll have to do it after work this week and that is so not going to happen. DH is on shift until 8pm Tuesday which means I have to get the kid every day after work. That would put shopping real late with the kid on a school night. Yeah I don't think so. I tried to go out yesterday but she was having none of it. The kid wanted to lounge about the house all day. She entertained herself, deconstructed half of the upstairs (thankfully we did an old unused toy purge not 2 weeks ago) which was not as bad as it could have been. It kept her busy all day though so I don't care. Now if you think her lazies have gone away you'd be wrong. I've managed to get her showered (but not dressed) and it is 3 minutes to 2pm. Yeah she takes after my father, don't get me started. At least she does it all on her own, I just send her upstairs and eventually she comes down clean and dressed. The key word here being eventually....

So the plans for today? Food shopping. My turkey day is delightfully small with just me, the kid and the dh, no other family. And we are oh so very happy about that let me tell you. The food preparation is something I'm used to, I love cooking the Thanksgiving feast all by myself. I don't know why everyone else preps so much so many days in advance. Volume maybe? I dunno, I've never had a problem doing everything the day of and I do not get up early to stick that overgrown chicken in the oven. It only takes a few hours, anytime near the noonish-1pm hour has been more than fine enough to get us at the dinner table at a normal dinner hour. And yes I only have 1 oven, small family, it works. The largest head count at my table has been 6 I think and even then I had a stupid amount of left overs. I don't recall changing anything or upping the volume of food which just goes to show that I make too much. I do awesome things with leftovers though so who cares right? This year my new leftover fun is going to be Turkey and string bean stuffed pies. Oh yeah I loves me some pot pie...

This year however I will making 1 thing ahead of time, cheesecake. But that's only because cheesecake is best served cold. Now normally I'm a huge pumpkin pie fan but the dh hates it. He's also a cake hater, no I don't know why. Me? I don't like cheescake, too heavy for me and normally it's over sweetened. The happy medium this year (or at least I hope it will be) is P Dub's Caramel Pumpkin Ginger Snap cheesecake. Not so sure about the ginger snaps though, I don't like them so I may just use graham crackers and not say anything. I was going to do Ina Garden's Pumpkin Roulade but I am unsure if I'll be able to find mascarpone in San Antonio without trapesing to 15 different HEB's. Which is too bad, I love mascarpone, it's just divine.

I hate HEB, it's like living in communist Russia. You have only 1 choice in groceries in San Antonio, HEB. That's it. And all natives think it's great, like you can get everything you need there. No, you can't but these morons don't know that because they've never had anything else here. If you've always been given vanilla ice cream and told it's the best thing ever well of course you think it's great, you've got nothing else to compare it to and never had. Point of reference people! God forbid you put chocolate in front of these people, they wouldn't recognize it! No no! Vanilla only, it's the best! Frikin communist Texans, it doesn't get any worse that them.

So this year it's going to be nice and simple (pray for me people, last year was not so fun) with just us and we may not even answer the phone. As far as I'm concerned family can just piss off. I'll talk to my dad if he calls, I'm sure my dh will talk to his mom. Everyone else can drop off the face of the earth and I'm fine with that. Can't wait till x-mas! Not.

So how complex are ya'll making your lives this coming weekend? The entry gates into the holiday hell season is upon us, lordy am I glad we moved away from 99.999% of our families...

2 comments:

shanna said...

You can get mascarpone at Central Market and at the HEB on Potranco and the HEB at I10&Wurzbach unless some wannabe expatriate has gone down and stolen the whole lot of them. There's usually a pathetically small amount of mascarpone tubs at each... I'd call ahead and have them save you a couple before you go.

I use it for tiramisu, mostly.

MichelleSG said...

Awesome thank you! I didn't find it yesterday and oddly enough Walmart had like every other kind of strange cheese there. I work near the 10 and Wurtzbach so I'll just hit that up on my way home...