Saturday, January 3, 2009

And I ran, I ran so far away....

Now you will have Flock of Seagulls stuck in your brain for the rest of the day. You're welcome!

No really I did run, if only for a little bit. Jaynie has been 'off' ever since his favorite person in the whole wide world went home to San Diego. 'Off' that's how we describe his personality when the Prozac doesn't seem to be taking the edge off and he tends to attack the other dogs in the home. 2 nights ago he went after Corbie, got him pegged under the Christmas tree and the dh ran over and popped him in the side of his neck with a gnarly punch. Now mind you when Jaynie 'goes there' the really goes. Right off the deep end, all sound and fury and it is SCARY. He doesn't actually hurt the other dog unless he's left to go at the other dog for like 5 minutes. All of Jaynie's front teeth are snapped off (self inflicted at previous owner's residence when he was crated too long, he chewed at the bars) so he can only do so much in a short amount or time. Usually you have to drag him off the other dog and he's still in 'the zone' once you do. If you let him go he'd go right back at it. This is the first time I've ever seen the dh pop him one (I don't know if he's done it before) and boy-o, that dog backed off so fast with such an apologetic look on his face I was blown away. We're a positive reinforcement household, all training is done without aggressive punishment. Punishment is done by exclusion, they do bad and they don't get what they want. We don't ever hit the dogs. Normally. I guess until they need to be stopped from killing another dog. Ya do what ya gotta do sometimes. I still can't get over how fast it pulled him out of the KILL zone. Normally he's crazy eyed for hours afterwards, not this time. I would think that added pain would have made it worse. Shows you what I know.

So the next night the dh took Jaynie out for a quick run, it helps him sometimes, other times it doesn't. It depends, if it's windy he gets 'twitchy' and anxious. He was good though and it seemed to help. Do you know when a dog gets in a fight the adrenaline takes something like 3 weeks to get out of his system? 3 weeks. Of unstable twitchy big dog. For this I sucked it up today and took him, by himself, for a really long walk. And I even jogged a bit. OK he's damn long legged and he was almost at a trot as I ran but hey, it was something. My legs are short, I can only go so fast!

It was good though and he was happy. He's simple and thankfully, it doesn't take much to make him happy. Boys. It is also a beautiful day out. Like as in 80 degrees and breezy. Yeah take pictures of your beautiful snow, post them up on your blog, and tell me how lovely it is out in your neck of the woods. And just know that it's blue, bright, breezy and 80 degrees out here in hill country. Gotta love this weather sometimes. I think I got a little sunburn on my shoulders in January. Yeah read it and weep snow belters.

No comments: