Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Mortality

So I don't think about death all that often. It comes up on occasion, like last Thanksgiving when my brain decided to blow and I had that lovely aneurysm. Actually I didn't think all that much about my death then either, I was asleep for most of it. My friends and family had the pleasure (if you could call it that) of contemplating my death, I just kinda floated though it. Lucky me. Well maybe not so much. Recovery was not all that. Could have been way worse though so I won't bitch too much about it. Damn hospital beds were hell on the lower back. Anyway death, what I was getting to. Last week the dd came home talking about one of her classmate's mom. Apparently she died. Recently, like in the last 2 weeks. Now mind you these are 6-7 yr olds, all the parents are our age, mid thirties for the most part. You'll see the occasional pushing 40 and the rare late 20 early 30 but for the most part mid 30's. None of use are looking like they'd drop dead at a moments notice and yet...I did, practically at least, and so did this poor woman (no, I don't know the details). If my daughter wasn't there to go get her daddy or daddy wasn't home yeah, I'd have just dropped dead with the kid watching. Could you imagine that? That would have been a very unpleasant experience in my poor child's life.

So today's post is my current flash back on whoa, mid thirties, didn't know that it had such a high mortality rate. The dd has mentioned her classmate a few times, and has asked me a few times about the stroke she helped me through. I made sure she understood just how important a role she played in the event. I'm pretty sure she didn't realize or remember that it was that important a role. Those days were such a whirlwind of events and emotions, so many people and so much stress that the first 10 minutes of her interaction with me and getting daddy were swept right under the rug. She has now been reminded of that and goes over remembering how to dial 911. She can do it on her own I'm sure but I need to remember to go over it with her on occasion just in case. Disasters happen, must be prepared. If we can teach dogs to do it the kid can do it no problem.

Note to all of you out there, just because you are young-ish and healthy it doesn't mean you can't drop dead in an instant.
So on that note the next time you look at that piece of chocolate cake and think, nah I really shouldn't, do it. Screw the diet, you could be dead in the next 10 minutes, why die skinny?

5 comments:

Death before Decaf! said...

Carpe Diem, baby!

Kimberly said...

dont you know I want people to throw my fav. chocolate in the casket when I go, heck have one of those chocolate fountains at the funeral-no reason everybody should be so sad and chocolate makes me happy. more for all :)
seriously, I worry about this all the time, especially since we dont really have a lot of family and w/my dad getting older I just dont know what he would do with not 1 but 4 kids!

Trailboss said...

lol, what a funny last sentence but the rest of the post is something we ALL need to think of. When I was 47 I realized my own mortality when I was told that my carotid artery was 95% blocked and needed surgery. The day before I quit smoking after 33 years and it was easy! I can't say though, that I will die skinny! I love love love to eat.

m0to said...

Weird that you post on this. Last week one of the guys I mountain bike with went out partying on Friday, didn't wake up on Saturday. 33. Makes me cherish the time with my friends all the more. I will see you guys soon!

MichelleSG said...

Yeah see, WHAT THE HELL? Since when did our 30's become the next 90's? Should we just all assume this is the new 'time to die'? Shit man...