Monday, December 15, 2008

Wild Christmas presents on a budget

Yeah so this year, like most people, we're not flowing in cash. Hahahaha, ok sorry I'm back now. Consequently I had to get even more creative than normal. I'm pretty damn creative anyway since I can't stand the holiday and buying presents for people I'd rather not admit to existing (yeah that'd be mom....). Budgeting money for people I hate, yay! So yeah this year, it was still more than I wanted to pay but I did it for less than $10 for her, and less than $20 for everyone else. And even then I'm still a bit bitter. For mommy dearest I got her dogs a set of dog chew toys. Yeah that's right, I got her dogs a present. She and her husband are useless anyway so I figured this will show that I actually bought them something but not say I love you. Because I don't. Did I mention how much I LOVE this season? Yeah. So moving on, dh's mom is always difficult to buy for, the woman already owns everything she wants. Her problem is that she spends money like a lunatic (it's a coping mechanism for her) and proceeds to lose said purchases, sometimes before she even gets home (she's a bit on the flighty side) and then must go out and rebuy them. I don't know how her husband doesn't explode, I love that man, he's a saint. Every year she holds at least 10 100+ guest parties, she's well known for them. So while I was at TJ Maxx I found a set of 2 teak wood serving boards and a set of 4 spread knives. They look pretty together and serve a purpose rather than just being a thing to set out and collect dust. All for just about $20. My dad (who yes, I adore although he drives me nuts) insisted that we just send him a card and not spend money on him (now you know why I adore this man). Of course I had already scoped out what I was going to get him and bought it before he told me this, and I wouldn't have not bought him a gift anyway. He is the guy version of the crazy cat lady and while he only has 1 indoor cat he takes care of all the strays in his hood (there are a lot and he's had them all fixed, thank God). So he too got a pet present this year. I got him a really cute ceramic cat treat jar (from Ross, it was cheap, like $5) and then I was going to fill it with cat treats but then decided instead to fill it with cat toys. Total cost? I dunno, maybe $20, probably less, it's not a huge jar. Our nephew is coming out for a surprise visit (with my mother in law) and we got him probably the most expensive thing we got anyone not including our dd, we got him a hard cover book and a cd. Heck, Where the bad kids go (I love this story idea and the cover is just adorable) and Offspring. I am an Offspring fan too so the strange blood that runs through mine and the dh's veins is obviously genetic. Our dd is still fascinated by goth, go figure. I'm thinking it's just a matter of time before she goes there...
For her though, yeah that's where we got the microscope, a few home science kits, the Star Wars Clone Wars dvd, and lordy knows what else. She asked for Tinkerbell dolls and while I think they are all too young for her I found a thing or 2 on clearance so I was ok with that.

Stocking stuffers this year will be composed of candy. Exotic chocolate bars and bulk candy from the bulk candy bin at Target. Redressed in pretty cellophane bags with bows. I always forget about stocking stuffers until the last minute so this year that I remembered at all is a miracle. Can't very well leave the things empty, the kid would have a fit.

I don't know what all the dh and I are getting for each other yet, we're not all that into getting stuff for ourselves but we must put on a show, gads I hate this holiday...

Got any other good ideas for practical but cool presents out there in recession-land? Leave a comment and let us all know! Lord knows we all need the help this year!

3 comments:

Liz said...

Just found your site via PDub. I love your writing ability. Makes me laugh...although I don't know if you mean for it all to be humorous.

:)

~Liz
www.AGiveawayADay.blogspot.com

MichelleSG said...

Ah yes, I have quite a few people follow me over from P Dub, many do not get my sense of humor. I suspect that's because many are from red states and although I live in one now I am a born and bred blue stater. Yes, I do intend for it all to be humorous. Life is MUCH too short to not find humor in everything. Especially relatives you hate and having to admit they exist during the holiday season. God has a sense of humor and I think I am often the butt end of his jokes.

Kimberly said...

cheap gifts, ha! let me know if you find good ones. I wish all the adults I knew would just wait for the after christmas sales and do an exchange that way (if we must do one at all, I mean come on) I am doing a lot of baking gifts and for the unexpected child (although most friends know that I prefer we do not exchange gifts, get your own kids something. that is why we spend all that money on the birthday parties) there are some good priced board games. Dont forget Tuesday Morning and Big Lots when shopping...